Jennifer Dusenbury Shall I help
1. I've never seen this claim, however I have seen "we don't know how the universe came about at this time". Which is a more reasonable position to take than "magic" or a deity (who, what appeared from nothing) did it. Adding voodoo changes nothing but at least scientist are trying to find out.
2. There are various viewpoints on free will and how objectively free it is. Some are religious and some not. It's not a particularly atheist or religious thing. Free will is really more a philosophical point.
3. Creationists (intelligent design class) would differ with you, some think evolution proves a creator. It's virtually impossible to disprove a negative.
4. You don't. Neither do the intelligent designers.
5. There is no proof he did and a reasonable amount of evidence that he didn't, most importantly being no contemporary records. Secondly that the events in the later accounts (such as the New Testament) are not documented by verifiable records of the time as having happened or, if they did having happened within the time of jesus. Sometimes decades or more off.
6. Who is Krause?
7. If we aren't born with no belief, what are we born with? We aren't born with language either. Where does belief come from, exactly? We are born trusting our elders, particularly caregivers, how does that play into belief?
8. Define evil. To my definition (genocide, murder, slavery, sexually abusing a child, mentally and physically abusing a child, rape, animal sacrifice, keeping slaves-particularly but not exclusively sex slaves, torture, all sanctioned behaviours by the god of the bible and affirmed by jesus) are evil. Correct me where I am wrong.
9. I'm sure there were other professions than goat herding. Doesn't change the ot authorship.
10. Well, can he create a rock he can't lift? When was the last person you saw with all faith, etc. grow back a severed limb? But back to the point, all powerful up to a paradox.
11. It depends on what you teach. About the bible isn't child abuse. To believe the bible is. Refer back to 8 but throw in the threat of torture forever to someone who can't really say for sure if animals can talk or bugs bunny is out there somewhere.
12. There isn't. Someone really needs to break it to the gullible that science is provable (it's even proven some bible myths were based on real occurrences, and some Greek, and some North American indigenous).
13. Damn right but don't hurt someone else's enjoyment unless it hurts you or another.
14. To what are you referring exactly? Please don't say the parking squabble. It's not that atheists don't commit crime we just account for far less than Christians and other religious groups proportional to our representation in society.
15. Well, if the shoe fits. Good people do good. Bad people do bad. To make a good person do bad it takes religion. A bit of a simplification.
16. Hitler was. Read his speeches, read his work.
17. Jesus likely didn't exist but he would've been a very odd Jewish man of standing of the time to not have married.
18. To die you have to have lived.
19. More or less. The number is pretty accurate for scientists doing actual work that is recognized as being valid by peers.
20. War is a complicated subject and I would agree that religion is not the only causal factor in most, if not all wars. However, referring back to 15, and to the rhetoric of most wars, religion (and other ideologies like nationalism) plays a large role in recruitment and in carrying on armed conflict.
21. Good question, care to answer? I've never once heard an answer to that one. Nicely hidden in the middle btw.
22. I think Monty Python answered that best with "All Things Dull and Ugly". If this creator of all created sunrises it also created skin cancer. And appendixes and vestigial tails.
23. It rather is but we outgrow the first two and the third was made up to make a point (mostly that we should also outgrow the object of the sentence). It must be said that people only kill or die or make laws against others for one of these deities. That's always been a point of confusion for me, why so many believers in an all powerful deity need to take it on their weak and puny hands to mete out punishment. Like an all powerful deity can't do it them-self, if it existed.
24. Please show the class.
25. If you make the claim you do have the burden of proof. That is how it works.
26. Atheism does literally mean a lack of belief in god/s. we also don't believe in Hera or Loki or Osiris but believers in those aren't trying to pass laws over the rest of us or mooching off the public system by not paying taxes or bilking people who are suffering. Although, yes, some of us do just like pointing out ridiculousness.
27. Yes, although I would think a deity would show itself. I still wouldn't worship the genocidal tyrant depicted in the bible. My protest would count for nothing, I'm sure but I'd still have something that abomination of imagination never had, empathy (and self-respect.
28. Gullible isn't the word. Indoctrinated is a better term, either as a very young child or at a point of incredible weakness. It isn't your fault and please, read your bible cover to cover with a thoughtful eye. Stomach churning and full of inconsistencies which prove it is not the word of one author, never mind the infallible and eternal word of a creator.
29. Floods have happened. "The flood" wasn't noticed by any of the existing civilizations and has no record (and we have dug back to before mammals evolved) of having happened. When did this thing take place and where did the water come from or go? A catastrophic flood did kill many but it was localized to the writer of the Noah story or a descendent.
30. It was Eve, his mother, right? Add incest to 8, but they didn't know better then, right? Even being so knowledgeable. Or do you have another answer?
31. We still don't understand the phenomenon. So, magic or voodoo or whatever like number 1. It is so nice that answer keeps getting pushed back as knowledge and understanding is discovered.
32. What claims do atheists make? Same question as 25. You make a claim it is your job to prove it.
33. Check the booking and conviction stats for violent crime. And financial crime. Check the crime rates in secular/atheist countries vs highly religious ones. Check the social programs. It's kind of hard for most of us to be jerks when you realize this is all we've got, all anyone has.
34. You worship Zeus? And Thor? If they exist (as millions truly believed) there must be some epic fireworks shows!!
35. So, who are you saying is wrong in this and the last question and how do you know you are right?
36. No, if god exists and if his works of literature are any indication, god created and is the embodiment of evil (see
37. Yes, your point being?
38. No, evolution hasn't nor has it tried to. Evolution talks about how we got to where we are and has explores the origin of life but the start is still a mystery and several scientific fields are working on figuring it out. Voodoo still isn't the answer.